Driving directions and map
- Dipl. Eng. (Aristotle University, Greece)
- Ph.D. McMaster University
Process Monitoring, Abnormal Situation Detection, Data Mining, Complex Data Structures, Process Analytical Technology
A variety of projects related to the above topics are available. The group has a very long tradition with using multivariate analysis, as a tool for troubleshooting and monitoring of processes. For summary of activities click here. There are several theoretical issues to be resolved to extend the applicability of the methods to a wider range of process industries.
Multivariate methods as well as other methods may be applied for data mining in a wide range of applications. Interdisciplinary projects in conjunction with other departments and industry are available.
Finally, industrial employees are strongly encouraged to seek a part time Master’s degree where important problems in their own companies (related to data mining a nd abnormal situation detection) can be addressed as projects in their thesis; similar experience in the past led to very successful interactions, and as a result of the projects, enormous savings for the companies.
2003 Award - SYNGERY (University - Industry) for Innovation by Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (with J. MacGregor, Dofasco Inc, Tembec Inc)
- Kourti, T. (2000). Turbidimetry in Particle Size Analysis. Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry: Instrumentation and Applications. R.A.Meyers (Ed.) pp. 5549-5580, John Wiley and Sons Ltd., Chichester.
- Kourti, T. (1999). Optimization and Control. Design and Analysis in Chemical Research. Roy Tranter (Editor). Sheffield Analytical Chemistry, CRC Press. pp314-364
Process Analytical Technology Feature Articles
- Kourti, T., (2006). The Process Analytical Technology Initiative and Multivariate Process Analysis, Monitoring and Control. Analytical Bioanalytical chemistry, 384(5), 1043-1048.
- Kourti, T., (2006). Process Analytical Technology and Multivariate Statistical Process Control. Index of wellness of product and process. Part 3. Process Analytical Technology, volume 3 (3), 18-24.
- Kourti, T., (2005). Process Analytical Technology and Multivariate Statistical Process Control. Index of wellness of product and process. Part 2. Process Analytical Technology, volume 2 (1), 24-28.
- Kourti, T., (2004). Process Analytical Technology and Multivariate Statistical Process Control. Index of wellness of product and process. Part 1. Process Analytical technology, volume 1 (1), 13-19.
Refereed Journal Papers
- Kourti, T., (2005). Application of Latent Variable Methods to Process Control and Statistical Process Control in Industry. (special issue on condition monitoring). International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing, 19, 213-246.
- Garcia-Munoz, S., MacGregor, J.F., Kourti,T., F. Apruzzece and M. Champagne (2006). Optimization of Batch Operating Policies. Part I - Handling Multiple Solutions. Industrial Engineering Chemical Research, submitted
- Garcia Munoz, S, MacGregor, J.F., Kourti, T. (2005) Product Transfer between Sites using Joint Y_PLS. submitted Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems, 79, p.101-114.
- Garcia Munoz, S, MacGregor, J.F., Kourti, T. (2004). Model predictive monitoring for batch processes with multivariate methods. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res, 43, 5929-5941.
- Kourti, T. (2003) Abnormal Situation Detection, Three way data and Projection Methods – Robust Data Archiving and Modeling for Industrial Applications. Annual Reviews in Control , 27 (2), 131-138.
- Garcia Munoz, S., Kourti, T., MacGregor, J.F., Mateos, A. G., Murphy, G. (2003). Troubleshooting of an Industrial Batch Process Using Multivariate Methods. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 42, 3592-3601.
- Kourti, T. (2003). Multivariate Dynamic Data Modelling for Analysis and Statistical Process Control of Batch Processes, Start –Ups and Grade Transitions. J. Chemometrics, 17, 93-109.
- Kourti, T. (2002). Process Analysis and Abnormal Situation Detection: From Theory to Practice. IEEE Control Systems, 22(5), 10-25.
- Dushesne, C., Kourti, T., and MacGregor, F., (2002). Application of Multivariate Methods to Start-Up, Re-start and Grade Transition Problems. AICHE Journal, 48 (12), 2890-2901.
- O. Svensson, T. Kourti, J.F. MacGregor (2002). A Comparison of Orthogonal Signal Correction Algorithms and Characteristics. Journal of Chemometrics, 16 pp 176-188.
- Westerhuis, J.A., Kourti, T., and MacGregor, J.F. (1999). Comparing Alternative Approaches in Batch Process Data Analysis. Journal of Chemometrics, 13, 397-413.
- Westerhuis, J.A., Kourti, T., and MacGregor, J.F. (1998). Analysis of Multiblock and Hierarchical PCA and PLS Models. Journal of Chemometrics, 12, 301-321.
- MacGregor, J. F., and Kourti, T. (1998). Multivariate Statistical Treatment of Historical Data for productivity and Quality Improvements. AICHE Symposium Series No 320. Volume 94, (Joseph Pekny and Gary E. Blau, Editors). Brice Carnahan, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Press. pages 31-41.
Problem Solving (Education)
- Woods, D.R., Kourti, T., Wood, P.E., Sheardown, H., Crowe, C.M., and Dickson, J.M. (2001) Assessing Problem solving skills:1. The context for assessment. .Chemical Engineering Education, American Society for Engineering education Fall 2001 issue.
- Woods, D.R., Kourti, T., Wood, P.E., Sheardown, H., Crowe, C.M., and Dickson, J.M. (2001). Assessing Problem solving skills: 2. Assessing the Process of problem solving skills. Chemical Engineering Education, American Society for Engineering education Winter 2001 issue.